Sunday, August 29, 2004

Memories...

What are some of the things your ward did together when you were growing up?


We had some fun activities in our ward when I was growing up! We used to have annual Daddy-Daughter activites (of course they had Father-Son outings too). First we had campouts, but later the rules changed and we could only have day trips. They were still fun though. The only times I've ever been on a horse were on Daddy-Daughter dates at Gibson Ranch.  We also would swim and have a lunch (BBQ?), but I remember the horse rides the most.

We also used to have dances ALL THE TIME!  At least it seemed that way. I remember themed dances like Sock Hops and I think we had a Hobo theme once! It was fun and lots of people came. It would be for the whole family and they played lots of different kinds of music. My parents had taken a ballroom dancing class and I remember seeing them dance. My dad taught me a little at those dances too. Though, I don't remember how to do them much!

We used to always get together for the Fourth of July too. Everyone would bring some fireworks and we'd all gather to see the huge show. Mom always popped popcorn and died some of it red and some of it blue so we had red, white, and blue popcorn. There was a family of boys who sang and they would sing all sorts of songs while we waited for it to get dark. The bishop always had popsicles to hand out too! :lick: It was LOADS of fun!

I also remember a few times having Pioneer Day parades. We would gather at the church. Everyone was encouraged to come dressed the part and we would then have a parade in the parking lot. We had used a little red wagon rigged up to look like a covered wagon. I think we might have also used a bicycle cart once rigged up a similar way.

It doesn't seem like wards have as many activities as we used to have back then. Or maybe I'm remembering years worth of activities and assuming it was like that all year. They make for fun memories and good ideas for future activities.

What are some of the things your ward did together when YOU were growing up? Now, most of the people who visit this blog are my family so your answers may be similar, but I'm sure we remember different things, so SHARE! And for those who may not be members of our church or weren't as a youth, what are fun things your church did or your community did as you were growing up?

Comments...anyone?

3 comments:

Sariah said...

Mom commented 8/30/04:

I wrote a little comment, then went to get a little heart, but Photobucket seems to be acting up and Safari up and quit. Try again.

As Activity Chair, I appreciate hearing what you remember best. Maybe it will help me plan.

I think it is true both that we used to have more activities and that we compress them in our memories. I am inclined to think, too, that either we had more $ in the activity budget or that a couple of families (probably Altop and Fox) were often generous. We did do a lot that wasn't expensive, too.

Sacramento Fourth Ward did have a lot of fun. I think a lot of credit goes to Bishop Jensen, the Foxes and maybe the Altops.

If you have time and inclination, Bishop Jensen would no doubt love a card or note reminiscing about some of that. They are getting very old now.

From my youth, I mostly remember Stake Pioneer Days at Champoeg Park (Oregon about 30 miles south of Portland) Great BBQ and corn on the cob. Some people dressed up. Mom and us kids usually did. Parades with decorated kiddie wagons.

Wishing you many happy memories, old and new!

Love, Mom

Sariah said...

Miriam commented 8/31/04:

hey. I was reading earlier, but didn't really have time to comment. I just remember pretty much the same stuff. sorry.

A lot of times I just read and don't comment. I guess I will try to comment more. ...heh, we'll see.

Sariah said...

Tom commented 8/31/04:

When I was 8 or 9 we had the coolest Halloween party with at good haunted house. The lame things were the culture nights. What a Yawn! They only had stupid displays and bad lighting. I just realy remember having a lot of activities. Or maybe they were just family get togethers. I can't remember.