Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Describe your first home after you were married.

I was looking through the drawer in the desk and came across my list of Journal Jar questions. Back when I started this blog, I sometimes chose one to answer on here. So, I decided to do another one...


Describe your first home after you were married.

LOL...okay. Well, when Ryan and I were first married, we were POOR!!! We got a nice one bedroom apartment that we could barely afford even though we were both working (Ryan working two jobs), Ryan was also going to school. Everything we owned, except for wedding gifts and the TV and VCR were either hand-me-downs or purchased second-hand. We did make a point to purchase a small upright piano from a friend. That was important to me since I believe a piano makes a home, at least for me.

We had a tiny little kitchen but that was okay because we didn't have very many kitchen gadgets yet. Besides, I hadn't quite devolped my good cooking skills at that point. I could make some simple dishes and that was enough for us back then.

I laugh as I remember all the pictures on the walls! Everything was from our wedding. Now I have a couple wedding pictures throughout our 4 bedroom house, but back then, there was a wedding picture any which-way you looked! I guess you could say our walls are more balanced now.

The apartment itself was plain. It had white walls and a neutral carpet. Blah. I much prefer painted walls and coordinated flooring these days! It had a pool, hot tub, gym, basket ball court, and I think a sand volleyball court. It was gated and fairly safe. I still made Ryan take all the laudry to the laundry room though. I never felt perfectly safe doing it myself, especially at night.

What else? I just chuckle when I think of that little apartment. I had new bedding (I think a wedding gift) that I really liked. I still like it, but retired it from our home when we moved here to Washington. I was ready for something new, something more "me" now.

LOL Even though we only had one bathroom, I had towels for three different themes!!! One to match the master bedroom, one for the sea shell bathroom that we currently have in our hall bath here, and one that was a more "fun" fish bathroom with bright colors. I would change out which bathroom it was every week or so. LOL Of course, when we moved into a 2.5 bathroom house later, they all came in handy!

I'm trying to think of what we still own that we had back then. The TV and VCR are both still running and are currently in our bedroom. The bed has been replaced, but is in our garage waiting for when it can go back down to my parents for them to use. I have the pictures, but most are stored away and some of the frames have been changed. And of course my dishes, pots and pans are still here. (That's a whole other story!) About half of the towels are still around, but half of the ones still here are now considered "junk" towels. Oh, and I still have a painting that we bought on our honeymoon. All the furniture is different now, even the piano.

Wow, alot has changed. It's been almost 8 years from the time we were first married. Time sure does fly...

We weren't in that apartment for long. Just about 3 months after we were married, Ryan got the job he is with now. When we found out about it, we had one week to make our plans, pack EVERYTHING, put most of it into storage, lug some of it around with us, and say good-bye to the only home I'd ever known, Sacramento. It was never my home again. For along time I longed to move back, but then we moved here. Once we arrived in Vancouver, I knew I was home. With all the moving we've done in the past 8 years, I'm ready to stay put!

Okay, it's your turn...

For those of you married or on their own: Describe your first home after you were married (or moved out).

For those of you still at home: Describe what you want your first home to be like. (And come on, be REALISTIC, or at least include a realistic version along with your fantasy version!:lol:)

No comments: