Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Bye Bye Baby

Rori is growing up right before our eyes. It's fun and sad and scary and exciting... all rolled up into one!

She can now climb in and out of her crib. It looks like it's time for us to get her that "big girl bed" we've been thinking about. She's showing signs that she's almost ready to start pottytraining. I expect that by summer she'll be out of diapers. She will finally let us read a whole story to her from front to back. Lately, she's been insisting on drinking out of a regular cup, not a sippy cup. She'll settle for a sippy cup as long as there are Princesses on it... but she still prefers a regular cup. And (this is by far the worst of all)... she's starting to cut off naptime. I can still get her to take one most of the time, but she's definitely letting me that it is not necessary.

These are all good things... she's growing up normal, healthy, and strong. She's developing, learning, and growing. I am glad for that. But I can't help but miss my baby.

There are no guarantees in life and I know that there's a chance I will not have more children in this life. When Cadi was little, I naively assumed we'd have more kids - it was a given. Now I realize that you can't assume or take miracles like children for granted. Had I realized how hard it was going to be to have another child, I think I would have cherished Cadi's toddler days, and mourned her growing up, a little more. Now that I'm in the same situation with Rori and understanding this could be the last time to experience these moments with a child of mine... it's bittersweet.

And with that thought in mind, I'm going to go get some snuggle time in while I still can!

No comments: