Pam just reminded me of a fond memory I have with one of my best friends in Jr. High School.
Sometimes my mom would let me go home from school with my friend, Dena and stay the night or just hang out until after dinner. Everytime we did this, we had a tradition: we'd walk down to the local supermarket and buy ourselves a Bernie Big Hunk candy bar then head back to her house to watch TV or a movie while we ate them. We called them "Bernie"s because a really cute boy named Bernie worked at that store. And since he was such a "hunk"... well, I'm sure you've got it. ;)
Big Hunks are really tasty but I think the memories of spending afternoons with my best friend, giggling about boys, watching movies together made them even tastier. Oh, and I have learned since that I love them best frozen. :)
Pam posted this recipe on her blog and since it stirred up so many fond memories, I thought I'd post it here, too. I haven't tried it yet, but she has and I'm sure they are wonderful:
Homemade Big Hunks
1 larger bottle Planters Dry Roasted Peanuts (lightly salted)
3 smaller jars Kraft Marshmallow Cream
2 1/4 cups light corn syrup
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
6 Tbsp butter, melted
1/4 tsp salt
Butter a large cookie sheet. Scatter peanuts equally on cookie sheet. Place marshmallow cream in a LARGE bowl, set aside. In a large saucepan, combine corn syrup and sugar. Place over high heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until mixture comes to a boil. Clip on candy thermometer. Cook to 280 degrees F, or to soft crack stage. Remover from heat and let stand 2 minutes undisturbed. Without scraping, pour entire batch into marshmallow cream and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add butter, vanilla, and salt and stir with wooden spoon until butter is incorporated. Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly across peanuts. Allow to stand at room temperature until firm, about 3 hours. Cut and wrap in wax paper.
Thanks Pam!
No comments:
Post a Comment