Last year we had a great bus driver... this year, not so much. I really do not like this driver. She is so inconsistent in her arrival times - yet she demands that the kids be there in line when she arrives or else she "writes them up". After 3 "write ups", the child is sent to the principal and it goes on their school record!
The first time Acadia was late, it was by two steps. The kids were boarding the bus and Acadia would have been in line with them, but she turned back to give me a hug and a kiss. She ended up stepping up on the bus while the other kids were still in the aisles, not even seated yet - but she was counted as late.
The second time, Ryan was taking her out. The bus was pulling away from the bus stop so Ryan began walking her across the street to the stop that the bus hits about 3 minutes later (after it rounds the block and heads back). The bus stopped right in front of them and she told Cadi to get on then. Ryan told the driver to go ahead and he would take her to the next spot, but the driver insisted. Then she marked Cadi as late a second time.
Now, if he had just taken her to the next spot, she wouldn't have been marked late. We do that occasionally - like when the bus is EARLY and we weren't out 5 minutes early since it was FREEZING out.
So, I have a beef with this lady who demands the kids be mind readers on when she will be arriving yet won't give them two steps to say good-bye to their mom.
Oh, and we are the second stop on the route - she is not inconsistent because of other kids getting on the bus before us. We see the first stop from our stop - she doesn't arrive there consistently either.
Yeah, so today we went out on time, but the bus was already at our stop. So I told Cadi we'd go the next stop. Often we go back in the house so she won't try to stop for us. Cadi was entering the house but I was on the lawn. The bus stopped. I waved her to go, she stayed there. So I yelled, "GO!!!" and waved again. She did go. We went to the next stop and Cadi was in line before she got there.
If she dares to write her up today I will have a major fit!!!
2 comments:
Ruth commented 3/31/06:
You should complain to the principal anyway. For one thing, neither of the first two should count. So, if Cadi is actually late sometime, it should only be the first offense. And who knows how many other kids have already been sent to the principal's office unfairly? They may not stand up for themselves. I know I would have been really upset at that age to be sent to the office for something wrong.
3/31/06:
Well, that is another part that bugs me. At this age - it is NOT the child's fault if they are late! It would be the parent's - so why are the children the ones who would be punished. Especially since I have NEVER been given a notice by the bus driver. In fact, she never gave us parents a list of these rules. And I'm starting to think that she's making it up to scare the kids into being there on time. I really don't like her. And it's such a shame because last year's driver was amazing! I hope we get a different one next year!
I think I will send a note to the principal. I don't want to take alot of her time by calling. I know she is an extremely involved principal (I love her!)and is often visiting classrooms or working with parents who do need her time. But I do want to let her know my concerns and find out for sure if this is actual school policy to begin with.
Post a Comment