My Mia Maid and I had a good time getting ice cream today. She was still very bummed, but was handling it well.
The good news is that two teams have told her that they would save a position for her. They are so confident in her abilities that she won't need to try-out or even practice with them at all until she's ready. She should be ready to go by the time games start this fall. She said that there were 4 teams trying to get her this year. One went to State and took 2nd place. She won't be able to play with them this year, but at least she'll get to play on the other teams.
What I hadn't realized is that she isn't just missing out on soccer, but also track. All her friends play different sports throughout the year, but are on the track team together. It's a really fun time for them, they train together, hang out after meets, etc. So, she's missing out on the sport and quality time with friends.
With her two favorite things taken from her for awhile, she's been left wondering if she has any other talents. She had just taken her first piano lesson in four years the day before the injury. And she can't really play any other instruments right now either. She does like to write though. She's been using writing as her outlet, where running used to be. She also is interested in learning photography. She wants to take a class next year in school.
I did find the opportunity to remind her that Heavenly Father loves her and cares about her and her arm. I also suggested that she watch for the opportunities that come her way during the next few months that wouldn't have happened if she were on the track and soccer teams. She agrees, but is still sad - understandably.
We talked about lots of stuff. She is the oldest in her family. She talked about her sister who is a Beehive. Her sister is into gymnastics and dance. My Mia Maid would like to learn to dance, but doesn't want to crowd in on her sister. She has never appreciated it when it's happened to her. Besides, the sports are her thing more than the interest in dancing. So she chooses to support her.
We talked about her friends at school. Drama, drama, drama! I remember those high school years! How fun to be on the other side of it now, hearing about all the crazy drama instead of being caught up in it!
In the end, we both took home some left over ice cream to stash in the freezer. We had a good time. She thanked me and I told her I just wanted to help her have a positive end to her rough week. I didn't say the words "I love you" or "I care about your situation". But I hope she felt it, because I really do.
2 comments:
Mom commented 3/12/05:
Good job! It is so good to know that some one cares about you. I am sure that you lifted her up.
Eddie commented 3/12/05:
You said it, just not in so many words.
Post a Comment