Each time we receive an e-mail from our friend, Joe serving overseas, I feel gratitude for all of our soldiers who are faithfully serving their country and us, their fellow men.
Joe is not allowed to tell us where he is or what he's doing (the last e-mail he sent seems to have been censored), which is more than scary for his young wife and their small children, our friends. It is humbling to know that people are literally risking their lives for me and my freedoms. Their families are risking the loss of their provider, protector and loved one so that I can enjoy peace with my family.
Here is a copy of Joe's latest letter to us, may it inspire you as well.
Hello to all,
I meant to write you all sooner to wish you all a merry Christmas, so I'll just have to say Merry "belated" Christmas. I hope that the Holidays found all of you in good health and spirits. I hope that you all took advantage of the season and shared it with your loved ones.
Everything here is going well. On Christmas I **** at ***** with ****** , ***** and ****. Let's just say I had to work Christmas day. Even though I was far from home and family, I still was able to feel the special spirit that accompanies Christmas.
One of the Specialists cooked up a wonderful Christmas dinner for the whole Company on Christmas Eve. It was wonderful and I think we should make him our permanent cook.
As I spend time away from family and friends, and wonder what else these uncertain times that we live has in store for me, my thoughts frequently turn to him who's birth we celebrated a few weeks ago. I have felt his love, very powerfully at times, as I have turned to him for strength and comfort during these trying times.
I want you all to know that I know he lives, that he loves us and that he is nearer to us than we realize. He knows each one of us intimately, and personally by name. He will come to us and comfort us in our times of need when we seek him.
I know that he was born into the world as the literal Son of God and the Savior of all mankind.
I am greatful for the growth, changes and experiences that I am having during this deployment. It's hard at times, but I know that all things, including hardships, are for our own good.
I draw comfort from the Lord's words to the Prophet Joseph Smith during his times of great trial,
"And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good."
I know these words are true for each and every one of us.
May you all have a Very, Happy New Year.
Sincerely,
Joe
1 comment:
Norma commented 1/4/05:
Thank you for sharing that letter with us.
Post a Comment