Last night was my first YW activity in over 11 years! (Man, I'm getting old!:lol:)
We met at the church at 6:30. What I did not realize is that the whole YW and YM have opening exercises together. Cool. The bishopric was there too. I'm told they usually are. I think it's great how much support the youth get from our ward.
So, we had opening exercises then carpooled over to ShareHouse to wrap gifts. I was able to take almost all of my girls there last night. It was great because it gave us time to talk and get to know eachother better.
We talked about favorite colors, school, things they want to do. Emilie wants to be a writer. Her favorite color is red. Kalynn had a hard time choosing a favorite color. She said blue, green, purple...maybe another color or two. This led to singing rainbow and color songs from primary. Lyndel likes The Lord of the Rings and is hoping to get the full box set for Christmas. (I like her!:thumb:)
The actual wrapping was fun too. We were divided into smaller groups and assigned to rooms. Then they brought us boxes of gifts, had us describe them on a piece of paper, wrap the gift, tape the description to the package, then place it back in the box it came out of. Next week we are doing the same thing for a Midweek activity for RS. But I think we might be getting to fill orders for families. (Choosing which gift for each person.) We will do whatever they need the most I guess.
I gave a couple of girls a ride home afterwards. They were Laurels but lived really close to me. Half of my Mia Maids had either parents or older siblings there to ride home with. The girls I took home were great! I had the soundtrack to Return of the Kings in the car, so we talked about The Lord of the Rings most of the way home. Then Harry Potter.
I was so worried that I wouldn't know what to talk about with the girls, but I don't think that will be a problem.
1) They like to talk alot! I don't have to start a conversation because they do that all by themselves!
2) They are great kids who have good interests. They have goals and talents that they like to share.
So I think I might actually be able to do this! I really like the girls in my class. They are fun, sweet, friendly. They seem to really get along with eachother well too. Most of my girls are active. We have a couple that are less-active. And we have one who lives between two parents. When she's here, we get her. Plus we have a deaf girl who attends a deaf branch, but will often join us (with Mom to translate) on Wednesdays for activities because they don't have a YW program in that branch.
I am getting more and more excited about this calling!
No comments:
Post a Comment