Last night we had our ward activity. It was a fiesta! I wasn't really in the mood to go...I wanted to make Chinese food, not have Mexican food. But we ended up having a fun time! Well, Debi was cold, but other than that it was fun. Acadia was able to participate in the pinata and the food was good. They taught us "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" in Espanol. Did you know that in Spanish it is actually "Head, Shoulders, Legs, and Feet"? The Spanish words for "knees" and "toes" are too long to fit that part of the song. Interesting.
The best part of the night had nothing to do with the activity though. Hey Mom, this is a good fundraising idea for your Scouts... The Young Women had a table set up where they held a silent auction. The young women each had listed acts of service they were willing to provide and at a starting bid. Then it was up to the ward to start bidding. There were all sorts of things for bid: dog walking, yard work, babysitting, dinners, FHE treats, house cleaning, homemade cards, piano lessons, dance lessons, soccer camp, and best of all...the Bishop was offering a boat ride to Government Island and Hot Dogs for lunch. Well I put a bid on the boat ride and soon we had a bidding war. It was going quite nicely until another family jumped in and sent the price way higher than Ryan and I had discussed. (He was at worked and I called, but then was unreachable while on his way home.) So the family I was originally bidding against agreed that we could go in on it together and so we kept bidding against this other family. And we won, splitting the cost between us... no, that's not cheating. ;) So sometime soon we will be going with the Williams and the Bishop on a boat trip to Government Island and having hotdogs. Sister William told the Bishop they had better be Oscar Meyer! The Bishop said "I just hope the boat starts!" :lol:
The fact that we participated in this bidding war is slightly crazy because I have never stepped foot on a boat without getting sick!!! But this is a much smaller boat, shorter ride, and I have the patches that helped a lot the last time. We like the Williams alot. She is my Enrichment Leader and is just a really nice and totally fun lady! Jack is fun too and sometimes a little crazy! Anyhow, I'm sure it will be a blast!
No comments:
Post a Comment