Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Run like the wind! Or at least like a gentle breeze.

So now that school is back in session, I am making a sincere effort to really get back into the routine of going to the gym regularly. I alternate between weights and cardio. Today was cardio.

Keep in mind that last week was the first time I stepped foot in my gym since before summer. *hangs head in shame*

Last week I "ran" (I use this word loosely. It was really a slow jog, 4mph, most people would consider it a quick walk. But I'm short and out of shape and so for me, it was a jog. But "running" sounds better than "jogging" and it's my blog. So there. Besides, I also incline the treadmill to make the resistance more realistic since when you really go running, there's not a treadmill moving itself while you run. So at least if I'm going slow, I'm also facing resistance... that cancels out the slowness, right? lol) 2 miles without stopping and was pleased enough with that since as I mentioned, it was my first time at the gym in months.

So today, I figured I would do the same; I want to go slow and really pace myself. And I really want to have realistic expectations. So, I "ran" for my 2 miles. As I came to the end of the 2 miles, I felt great and I knew I could go further so I just told myself I'd go another 1/2 mile before I slowed it down to a walk. That 1/2 mile went by and I was starting to get tired but I knew I could still go a little further without pushing it so I decided I would just run until I felt like I should stop. As I approached the 3 mile mark, I realized that if I extended it just another tenth of a mile beyond 3 miles, I would have run a 5K. Admittedly, by this time I was definitely reaching my limit but now I was excited that I would actually have "run" a 5K without stopping so I pushed on until that point and then slowed down to walk through the rest of the workout. I have to admit that I'm pretty impressed with myself. Even though it was at a slow pace, lol.

We always try to go to Sacramento for Thanksgiving and while we're there, we usually participate in the Run to Feed the Hungry on Thanksgiving morning. Most times, I've just done the 5K, usually walking. Once, I attempted the 10K and ran (fine, jogged) about half of it, walking the rest. I really want to try to do the 10K again this year and to run most, if not all of it. Wish me luck, I think I'll need it! lol

No comments: