Tuesday, February 5, 2008

FHE

Every Monday night is Family Home Evening.  We spend the evening together, talk about the upcoming week, have a little lesson, eat some yummy food, and have an activity together.  It is a lot of fun and we all love doing it each week.  Awhile ago, I finished up our little assignment chart.  It's really just a nice "Family" frame with a pic of each of us and a peg under each picture, we rotate the assignments hanging on each peg so that we take turns with the various responsibilities.  Last night, it was my turn for lesson.

I totally stole my lesson from the Young Women - particularly, the New Beginnings we had last week.  We talked about all the different things we can do with our hands.  Then we talked about the things that Jesus did with His hands and how we should do good things with our hands, like He did.  We read Mosiah 5:15 and then we made this:

Our hands - abounding in good works.

I kind of wish I had pictures of us putting our handprints on the tile because that was fun, but I didn't think of it until later. 

I hung our tile in our front room and I hope it will always be a good reminder to each of us to use our hands to do good works, like the Savior did. :)

6 comments:

Sariah said...

Ruth commented 2/5/08:

Okay, that is so cute! How did you make it?

Sariah said...

2/5/08:

It's a 12x12 tile and all we did was 1) clean the tile with rubbing alcohol, 2) use acrylic paint to put our hand prints on the tile, and 3) once the paint was completely dry, I used a rub on vinyl saying to place over the handprints. My friend had already ordered the vinyl lettering and had also drilled the holes, so it was really easy for us. I have a friend who makes those vinyl lettering - she can probably make any saying you want in any style/size/color, so if you'd like her contact info, let me know. :) You can rub those vinyl letters on just about anything: tiles (obviously), glass, wood, plastic, walls, etc.

Sariah said...

Ruth commented 2/5/08:

I've recently started using Rub-Ons & I love them! They are so fun & easy. I had wondered if that's what you used, but couldn't imagine that a company had one with that saying already. Yes, please send me her contact info! I might have to copy that for my Young Women (and maybe FHE, too!).

Sariah said...

2/5/08:

It was really awesome doing this for the YW's New Beginnings because the theme was "In His Hands - Abounding in Good Works". They made a montage with pictures of Christ to the song "His Hands" and then a montage of pics of the young womens' hands doing a variety of things, it was really very touching. They made the tiles that night too - you have to allow a lot of time for the tiles to dry, so we had them stamp their hands before the meeting and then they did the rub on after the meeting. I'll e-mail you my friend's info.

Sariah said...

Miriam commented 2/6/08:

That is cute. It will be fun for you guys to look at later when Cadi & especially Aurora's hands have grown.

Sariah said...

2/6/08:

I think so, too. I made sure to date it on the back. :)