We LOVE our cherry tree and it's YUMMY fruit we enjoy every June. We do not love how short the cherry season is, however. We always get so many cherries that we cannot eat them all before they go to waste. So this year, to remedy that, we canned our cherries! I've never canned before but I think we chose a good fruit to start with. Canning cherries is pretty simple. Yay! :)
Here is a before (this is just one of the bowls we filled):
And here is the after (I canned 12 quarts and 12 pints, with some leftover to have fresh today and this weekend, of course, we all ate and ate and ate as we picked, too.):
But if you'd like to see many of the "in betweens", here is a slideshow (I didn't get any pics of me actually doing the canning, as my hands were busy (and messy) and all other helpers were picking even more while I canned what we had so far.):
I really enjoyed canning! And I love seeing the fruits of our labor! lol
Next time I will do a couple of things differently. I will start earlier in the day (I didn't finish the last batch until midnight!) and I will use a stool while I wash and prick each cherry (my feet and back hurt SO BAD by the end of the day!). But I am looking forward to doing it again next year, and hopefully we'll get an additional 12 quarts next time too. (We were a little late picking and a lot of the fruit had to be tossed. :S)
I'm also eager to try my hand at other canning. We will try canning the pears and apples we get off our trees in the backyard this fall. And next year I will be planting MUCHO strawberry plants and a couple of blueberry bushes. Mmmm... berries. We'll try freezing some, making jam out of others, and maybe some pie filling, too. Can't wait! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment