Last night I held no hope for Simon. He had scratched during the day and I just knew he would scratch all night too. Imagine my surprise when I got up and saw no real evidence of scratching! His wound looks so much better than it has. I imagine he might scratch a little still, but this gives us hope that even with a little scratching, he is healing. I told Acadia as she left for school that he looked alot better and we just need to keep praying for him. She has been very sad at the thought of losing her dog. He is a stupid dog, but I guess we're stupider because we love him.
Yesterday Acadia met with an allergist and learned she is alleric to grass, dust mites, and cats. Surprisingly she is more allergic to the dust mites than the cats. She has been given several samples of medicines that she is on trying to determine if she has any side effects. We will still limit her exposure in California because we haven't learned which medicines will work best with her, so she isn't going to be "cat, dust, grass" proof yet. But we have some medicines that will help her tolerance a little.
Between thinking the dog was going to die and the allergy testing (12 needle pricks with half of them becoming irritated), it wasn't a pleasant day. So we rented a movie, got popcorn (the buttery kind), swung by Jack In the Box for milkshakes, egg rolls, and hamburgers, and had a lazy day. I did get one thing done...I wrapped most the Christmas presents I need to take down next week.
Today I think I'll start my annual video. Ryan reminded me that if I have it all ready, we might be able to put it on DVD at the Grundy's while we're in Sac. So, as long as everyone has a DVD player I'll try to send them out in that form instead of VHS from now on. Cool. But I have alot of work to do, I'm not sure it will all get done by then. We'll just have to see how quickly I can get going...so...BYE!
7 comments:
Mom commented 11/12/04:
The only thing dumber is a dog is the person who thinks they need one. Sometimes I look at Anna and think," ¿ They use Labs for guide dogs??!" She needs a little work.
Well, I am glad things are looking better for Simon. May He who is mindful of a sparrow's fall, bless your silly dog.
All these recent deaths and near deaths give you good opportunity to discuss the Plan of Salvation.
Movie, hamburger and milkshake sound like good therapy for days like that.
At least I don't have much grass in my house. We will TRY to reduce the dust and cat hair. Much as we love you all, I think we are keeping the cats. Too bad Cadi is allergic, since she likes cats. sigh. could be worse.
You are awesome! You do so much. I don't know how you manage!
Ruth commented 11/14/04:
Well, we don't have cats. And no one is dumb enough to play in our "grass" in the backyard. But we DO have dust! Hope it won't bother Cadi too much. We'll try to do extra dusting & vacuuming before you guys come down.
I commented 11/14/04:
She tests most allergic to dust, but we have only seen obvious symptoms from cats. I don't really know why or how that is. She will have meds with her in case she does have a problem, but we've never had a problem at your place before.
Miriam commented 11/16/04:
I wonder if it only bothers her when dust is stirred up - like on a windy day. And does all dust have dust mites?
Miriam commented 11/16/04:
I just did a quick search and found a good article on dust mites.
Mom commented 11/16/04:
Good article.
Also a little depressing.
I think we all need a team of professional housekeepers to keep up with the dust mites alone! That or that concrete house on the old commercial. comfy
I commented 11/16/04:
Thanks for that article. Most of it the doctor went over with us. We have had the protective covers on our mattresses and pillows since Ryan was diagnosed with all his allergies and asthma. We have to decide what to do about her bedroom carpet though. Maybe when we do the flooring in the living room, we'll do her room too. We are thinking about Pergo to match the rest of the house.
Dust mites may be tiny, but they are a BIG pain!
Post a Comment