Thursday, September 30, 2004

Grandma Goes Home

I just learned that my Grandma passed away early this morning. Mom had visited with her on Monday and was able to tell her that she loved her. Grandma hugged Mom and tried to speak. Mom understood that she was saying "I love you" and isn't sure what else she was trying to say. That was the last Grandma responded to anyone.


Last night my aunts Lainee, Kris, and Marci were staying the night with her. Early this morning, Kris said to Lainee that they should sing to Grandma. Marci was napping. As Kris and Lainee sang "Mother I love you", "All Flower Remind Me of You", and "I am a Child of God", Grandma's breathing changed and she started to go. A nurse woke Marci and she too joined in singing. Then Grandma was gone. Marci says that she saw Gordon and Grandma walking hand in hand. (I don't know if it was in her dream just before waking or afterwards.)

There will be a funeral Monday morning. We are trying to see if we will be able to make it down. We would have to leave Sunday night then come back very early on Tuesday. Acadia will miss two days of school, but that's not a big deal. We need to be back in time for Ryan to attend his class Tuesday afternoon. We are still thinking and deciding.

We are grateful for the gospel and the Plan of Salvation. We are also grateful that all of Grandma's children were able to be with her before she left. Our thoughts are with Grandpa. We love him and we know that this will be a difficult time for him.

No comments: