Okay, I keep hearing comments from people (no, not just you Mom) who are worried that Mt. St. Helens is going to blow all of Washington away or something!
As Ryan says, Mt. St. Helen's already blew it's top off, what else is there to blow up? But really, there is such little danger here in Vancouver that it's funny (funny or annoying) that everyone is all worked up.
It is likely that Mt. St. Helens will have an explosion of some sort very soon. But they are really only expecting it to toss rocks, mud, and "stuff" to the rim of the crater and maybe some beyond. It also might shoot some ash in the air that could travel this far, but nothing like in 1980 when it really did blow. The mountain is 50 miles from here, even if it was going to "blow" like it did in 1980, all that we're going to get is ash (just like people all over the world got - well, more than they got, but still...just ash).
But it is also likely that NOTHING will happen, just like nothing has happened since 1986 (when the erruptions were small and just worked to build the lava dome), even when there were earthquakes that indicated there might be activity.
Remember, there were TONS of warning signs before the erruption in 1980! (Weren't you people paying attention to all the movies at the visitor centers? :lol:) They knew something serious was going to happen. The only part that was unexpected was that when it blew, it blew side-ways, not up. And now they would know if that were going to happen because they took notes...We've learned when there's a huge "bulge" (yes, the scientific term) growing out of the side of the mountain at a rate of 5 feet a day, then there's a good chance that the volcano could errupt side-ways. :blush: 1980 and right now are two completely different situations and two very different levels of activity...and danger. Then it was HUGE, now it just isn't.
We are not concerned in the least. In fact we are not even thinking about it, except when we keep getting calls and comments about how we should leave. Look, here is an article andhere is an even better one that talks about the latest. Read it...and STOP WORRYING!!!:eyes:
3 comments:
Mom commented 9/29/04:
I know, I know. You are fine and you will be fine.
Still, check your 72 hour kits and keep gas in the car.
What I learned about Mt. St. Helens is that they had lots of warning signs, but they didn't really understand them. I learned that hopefully the scientists learned that there is still a lot to learn. They knew something was cooking, but not exactly what or how big and they kind of were messed up on when.
We do know where safety lies and that is in living close to the Lord. So, I am not too worried about you no matter what the mountain or anything else does.
Still, Be Prepared is not a bad motto.
David commented 9/30/04:
Yeah, stop worrying. And while you're not worrying about Mt. Saint Helens, don't worry about me living within 60 miles of the earthquake capitol of the world. Many in the area felt Tuesday's earthquake. I felt nothing until today's aftershock.
I commented 9/30/04:
David, have you been getting the concerned comments too? lol
Though, I admit I'd be more worried about earthquakes living there than I am about volcanoes living here.
At least we get warning signs and even the closest volcano (Mt. Hood) is far enough that we aren't really in harms way. Our biggest problem would be power outages, water shortage, ash falling, etc. Hey, just like in a blizzard...you just can't make snowmen out of ashes! :lol:
Post a Comment