Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Month of Thanksgiving Day 1

I've seen others do this, and sometimes it is called something different.  I don't know what the rules are but I don't really care, I'm making up my own rules because this is my blog, dagnabit!  ;)

I haven't blogged daily for a very long time, so we'll see how this goes, but my goal is to blog a gratitude post every day this month.  I have no agenda, no plan... there are lots of things that I'm thankful for that I will miss, things that may be extremely important to me, and just about everything I share is likely to be things I'm always (or at least often) grateful for, not just that day.  Duh. ;)  My only plan is to post what impresses me at the time I'm sitting down to write.  So, with that...

Today, I am grateful for my husband. (Warning: Major Mushiness to follow...)

When I think of Ryan, I am flooded with emotions that are difficult to express or contain.  For more than 15 years he has been my constant companion.  Whatever we have faced, we have faced together.  The good and the bad.  Ryan is my very best friend.  I never get tired of being with him, whether we are talking, working on a project, or just sitting quietly together.  We don't always see eye to eye, but we rarely fight.  It hasn't always been that way, but through years of practice, we are learning to respect and listen to one another... usually. ;)  I know that he loves me and wants to protect me.  I have heard him stand up for me, to defend me.  I feel so safe and protected when he is near me.  The touch of his hand and the look in his eyes can calm me more than any other physical thing.  Even when he has had a long, hard day, when he comes home, he wants to serve me.  He asks how he can help me.  He treats me not like a princess that needs to be pampered, but someone that he cherishes and finds joy in sacrificing for.  He says it's his pleasure.  And he means it.  He wants to spend time with me.  He likes to try things that I enjoy.  He finds that, often, he enjoys them, too.  He encourages me in my interests, supports me, cheers me on, praises me.  He lets me make decisions about our home.  He respects that it is where I spend most, if not all, of my day.  He wants me to be comfortable and happy.  He and I have a similar sense of humor.  We laugh... a lot!  He loves being a dad!  He always makes time for his daughters.  He loves to take them with him when he needs to run errands, and usually buys them a treat while they are out.  He reads them stories, tucks them into bed, sings to them, and prays with them.  He encourages them in school and in their hobbies.  He talks to them about God and life and all of the things that are important to him.  He apologizes when he realizes he has made a mistake.  He asks for forgiveness.  He is smart and has really good ideas.  He is interested in the world and what is happening, and how it affects us.  He is a hard worker.  He has sincere intents.  He always wants to help others.  He is one of the most unselfish people I know. 

Ryan is one of the best people I know.  And I know that I'm a better person because of him.  I love spending my life with him.  I cannot bear the thought of spending any time without him.  He often hears me say, "I go, we go, " or "You go, we go."  His love gives me strength and courage.  He makes me feel so special.  Sometimes I think he's like Shallow Hal (when Hal's not being shallow, lol).  It is like he sees something in me that no one else (myself included), can see.  But he sees it and is so confident in it and treats me like I'm that amazing person, that it makes me believe that he might actually be right, that I might actually be who he sees.  It certainly makes me want to be her!

I hope that one day, Ryan and I are considered an inseperable duo.  Where you just can't think of one without thinking of the other.  Like peanut butter and jelly, movies and popcorn, Tom Brady and the Patriots, Disney and Mickey Mouse, Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet.  If someone looks at me, just me, I want them to think that I am "one half the greatest love story ever told*," because I cannot be complete without him.

Someone said you shouldn't love someone because you need them; you should need them because you love them.  I need him because I love him.  And I am the luckiest person because I have him, not only for now, but for always.  And I am so grateful. :)

*Quote from the movie,  Lost in Austen

No comments: