Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Month of Thanksgiving Day 2

I take electricity and plumping for granted.  But I am so thankful for them!  It isn't until something goes wrong with one of them that we realize just how much we depend on them and don't even think about it.  We flip a switch without care, expecting to get light.  We turn on a faucet and expect not just water, but HOT water.  Conveniences that my ancestors never knew.

Sometimes I wonder what it was like back before we had these things.  Running to the outhouse in the midde of the night.  Putting a hot rock at the foot of your bed to keep you warm at night.  Lighting candles and oil lamps to see in the dark.  Have you ever tried reading by candlelight?  I've tried reading by flashlight... even that isn't easy sometimes! lol

This morning I woke up and the house was warm.  Our central heat is programed to turn on before we get up.  I don't even have to turn it on!  Talk about convenience!  It is hard to get up out of a warm bed when it is freezing in your room!  I am grateful that I don't have to. 

When I think of these kinds of blessings, I feel so spoiled.  I know that there are some, right in my own city that don't have even this.  They live in this modern world yet don't have all of it's conveniences.  Maybe they are homeless, maybe they just can't pay for their electricity this month, maybe their house hasn't been equipped with an efficient heating system.  Whatever the reason, I don't even have to look to a 3rd world country to realize that I am so very fortunate.

Today when I'm cleaning my bathrooms, I need to remind myself just how lucky I am to have them. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking yesterday how grateful I am for washing machines when we go through three sets of crib sheets in less than a day! We really do take things like that for granted sometimes!

Heffalump said...

Thinking about people who lived before some of those modern conveniences makes me feel like it's okay if we don't have the house super hot during the winter. I think we still have it a ton better than they did back then, even if we keep the heat a little lower than most people.

Sariah said...

I think about how they had to wash everything by hand and when they cooked, they had no microwaves to speed things up... so if we have all these conveniences, why do I still feel like I have no time? I never would have made it back then. lol