Sunday, July 17, 2011

Welcome to Zion!

I hadn't been asked to drive kids home from the trek since I had been asked to drive up, but I wanted to do it, so I volunteered and thankfully, they still needed drivers so I got to fill one of those spots. :)

You never know when they'll actually arrive at the stopping point, it all depends on how well they do on the trail that day.  But they were expected between 1 - 2pm, probably closer to 2, so I got there around 12:30.  I wanted to be sure to see them arrive so I could cheer them on and take pictures. 


At 1:10, we found out that they weren't even close.  It would be another 3 hours.  Time to get comfy and wait!  Note to self: next time you go pick up kids from Trek, take a book, a chair, and food.  ;)  Thankfully, the weather was beautiful and the surroundings were pleasant and the company was great!

Around 4, when we expected them, we heard back that it would be another hour.  From then on, anytime we heard anything it was always the same, "About one more hour," no matter how much time had gone by since the last time they said the same thing. lol

Finally, just before 6pm, they rolled in!!! 


You can see Cadi next to her Trek siblings in the big picture, pushing that handcart those last, final steps. They were SO glad to finally be there!!!  On the lower left, we got a picture of Cadi with her Trek Ma and Pa, a couple from Hood River in The Dalles stake.  They were so nice and Acadia loved them!  I was so grateful and got to give them a hug to thank them for taking care of my girl.  The lower right is Cadi in front of the handcart that she helped push for almost 30 miles over the last 3 days.

The kids were treated to a well deserved meal!  It was supposed to be lunch, but those tired, sore, dirty, and hungry kids were getting it as dinner instead.  Many pioneers had to learn to live on just one or two meals a day and that day, these kids did, too.  But the delicious chicken, corn, potato salads, fresh fruit, and of course pie were worth the wait and there were only smiles as the kids found a place to sit (mostly on the ground, but by then they were used to that and didn't even bat an eye at it, lol) and relaxed, visited, played, and ate with people that 3 days prior they didn't even know but now considered family.  I was able to meet one of Cadi's Trek sisters from The Dalles as they ate their meal together, sharing riddles and remembering funny stories from their journey.

Once they were fed, we loaded them and their gear up and took them home.  Before we got into the car, I gathered what youth from our ward that I could find (two cars had already left so it is not a complete photo) to get a picture:


Behind the kids is Justin Green, one of the young men who grew up in our ward, served a mission, and is now attending college at BYU but came back to spend the summer home.  He and his friends were vital in helping Trek run smoothly.  They arrived one day early to camp over with all the gear, assembled the handcarts, drove the outhouses to each stopping point, assisted in setting up/cleaning up for all gatherings/activities that took place along the trail, and helped to take down the handcarts and clean up at the end of the Celebration at the Valley.  Even though he has grown up, we still claim him and were glad he agreed to get his picture taken with the kids.  He's a good role model for them.

Several of the kids mentioned how weird it felt to be in a car again.  I offered to let them walk the 100 miles back home if they wanted, but for some reason they decided to relearn how comfortable it feels to sit in a car with shocks, cushy seats, a/c and heating, a radio, etc. lol  Since more than half of my car contained girls, I heard a lot of fun stories and participated in sharing riddles, apparently a very popular Pioneer pasttime as they all had learned several and found it a lot of fun to share.

I am so proud of Acadia for going on this Trek.  I'm so proud of her for keeping a good attitude.  All of the leaders who worked with her told me how great and positive she was.  They said she was helpful and a good friend to others.  She was brave and participated fully.  I know it was hard but I also know it was worth it.  I'm so glad that at the end, she is able to say the same thing.  :)

No comments: