Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Harry Potter Spoiler

But only if you've never read the books.

I took Cadi to see the last Harry Potter movie.  I am sad that it's over.  It is such a great series!!!

We knew it would be emotional and came prepared.  We both required Kleenex.  There are lots of moments that I found teary (and sometimes even choked up and near sobbing) about.  But the one that has stuck with me into today is Snape.

Severus Snape.

You start the series not sure what to think.  Some moments you absolutely HATE him!  Sometimes you think you might like him.  Sometimes he makes you laugh.  But no matter what your overall feeling about Snape is, you never truly begin to understand him until the very end.  Then all of a sudden, you see him differently (even if you already liked him).  All of a sudden you see a new side to him, the part that was desperately in love.  The part that required so much courage.  You see just how much it cost him to fulfill his duties and promises.  And in the end, he died friendless.  No one understood him, until it was too late. 

I just wonder, are there Snapes in our lives?  Are there people around us that bug us, maybe even make life miserable, that have their own tragic story to tell and if we knew it, we would find ourselves feeling compassion toward them?  Would we honor and value them if we only knew?

It's just a story.  Snape was a made up character and his story wasn't real.  But I love him.  I always liked the character and thought he was funny, but when I read the end of the series, and again seeing the story play out on screen, my heart goes out to him.  He never got the girl.  He never even had a friend besides said un-won girl - until Dumbledore and then he has to kill him!  He was hated for being the exact opposite of what he was but could not tell a soul or defend himself in anyway.  He just had to let people hate him and think he was evil.  Sure, he did find enjoyment in tormenting Harry (and others), especially in the early years, but really he was the good guy.  Really, he was one of the best guys in the whole series.

I *heart* Snape.  ... *tear*

No comments: