Sometimes the things you fear the most become the most beautiful blessings and experiences. I have felt that way for the last two days. The start of this week was hard, I was crushed, nervous, heartbroken, unsure how the ward would handle it, etc. Meeting with our stake leaders brought me strength and confidence, though I was still sad and worried how the ward would do. Thursday was long and draining but I was so comforted by the response of the members. As I bore witness to them of the Lord's hand in all of this, they too bore witness to me. It is true that the Lord had been preparing all of us, we just hadn't known it at the time. Yesterday was a special day spent with the family and it healed the wounds in my heart to be with them; to visit, remember, laugh, cry, plan, hug, etc. They feel peace. And I do, too.
My feelings about Bishop are tender and sacred to me. I wish everyone could have known him! He is truly one of the greatest men I've ever known. I love him, I relied on him, he became a father figure in my life and I miss him very much. Life has not stopped just because he was losing his fight, the ward still has needs, and even last night I caught myself thinking, "I need to tell the Bishop..." But I trust the Lord. I know that God knows Ed Green and that he was called to serve as a Bishop at this time for a reason. I know that he was kept in the office of Bishop until this time for a reason. And I know that I, too, was called to serve as Relief Society President during the time when our bishop would battle cancer, spend months in isolation as he healed from a bone marrow transplant, and would later pass away - for a reason. Additionally, I believe that each member of our ward has been placed to be in this ward at this time, for a reason. We have some things to learn from it. I consider this one of Bishop's last lessons for us, his last sermon. Ed Green trusted the Lord with all of his heart and he dedicated his life to serving Him. He was such an example to all of us who knew and loved him. If we could each just be a little more like him, this world would be such a wonderful place.
I love you, Bishop! Thank you, so very much, for all you have taught me. For your patience, you counsel, your support, your kind words, you trust, your service, and your love. You will forever hold a special place in my heart and I look forward to the day when we meet again. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment