Monday, October 18, 2010

Paul Cardall

Today I went to a book signing for Paul Cardall.  When he first sat down there really weren't very many people there, so we got to talk for quite a bit.  He was so nice. :)  He gave me a hug and we took a picture:



I've wanted to meet Paul for years so I'm so glad I was able to this time!  He actually came to our stake center to do a fireside a few years ago, but I was out of town that weekend. :P  But it worked out this time. :)

UPDATE:  And this is a big one!!! 

In our talking at Deseret, we talked about several things, where I was from, our kids (Rori is close in age to his daughter), his music, etc.  I remembered to ask for a hug, I remembered to tell him that Live to Love is one of my favorite songs and never fails to move me when I hear it, I remembered to get a picture taken with him, I remembered to have him sign a couple cds, his new book, and a songbook... but I forgot to ask him something I've been wanting to ask for years!

I've been on the hunt for a piano solo arrangment of How Firm a Foundation.  It is my favorite hymn and has so much meaning to me.  A large part of my testimony is summed up in the understanding of this hymn.  It has been my strength in times when I have been afraid, felt weak, overwhelmed, etc.  I. Love. This. Hymn.  But there are just no piano arrangments for it.  I've looked, and bought/tried everything I could find.  They are all either 1) super easy, like for beginners, 2) the more traditional melody, not our LDS version, or 3) meant for choirs and the accompaniment is not good for a solo.  Disappointment.  Many years and dollars later (I seriously buy any copy of How Firm a Foundation I see, just to see if this could possibly be the one.), I still have not found an arrangement that would work for me.  I've not given up though, I still look (and buy), but I've wanted, for a long time, to ask someone, specifically Paul Cardall as he is one of my favorite LDS artists and primarily does piano solos, to consider composing one.

And with all the time we talked yesterday, I totally and completely FORGOT!  I remembered as I was in the car heading home and was tempted to turn around but thought that might be a bit much since I had already talked to him for so long and there were others visiting with him now.  I had my chance... and could only hope for another one, someday.

When I got home, I uploaded the picture I took and shared it on FB.  I tried to post it to his FB page, but I think his page doesn't allow that (understandable), but I did tag him in the pic on my profile.  Then some of my friends made comments and I also commented about my unasked question/request.  This morning I checked my e-mail...

AND PAUL CARDALL RESPONDED!  He commented on the pic and said he would work on that song for me!!!  I realize he is busy, probably has many projects to work on already, this could end up being something he forgets or simply never has time to get around to.  And if he does, it may be years down the road... I'm telling myself this so I don't get too many of my hopes up. lol  But, there is a chance!  And he at least has heard my request and said he'd work on it!  Reading his comment totally made my day!  I was giddy like a school girl, literally ran down the hall to Ryan, giggling and jumping up and down.  (I want to say it's because I was still waking up and pretend like I wouldn't have been so childish if I had been more awake, but let's be honest... I totally would have! LOL)

So, here's to hoping!  And here's to Paul Cardall, I'm telling you, he is AWESOME!  (For so many reasons!)

Now, you may have noticed up in that pic that there was another person in the background... yeah, that garnered a few comments from my family and friends. lol  And so my friend, Heffalump, worked some magic, and now one of my best friends was there at Deseret with me instead!  ....



I admit, I much prefer this version! lol

No comments: