Monday, July 6, 2009

Don't toy with my heart.

I went to my favorite news page to get the weather report for today and the next few days.  Right away, a bright red warning caught my attention: VOLCANO ALERT! 

Exciting!!!

I love living here and I am hopelessly in love with Mount St. Helens.  I love Mt. Hood, too, but Mt. St. Helens just sets my heart beating faster everytime I see her.  Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but sometimes when I'm driving along and catch a view of her, I tear up.  I just LOVE Mt. St. Helens and find her fascinating and stunning.  Even after blowing a third off the top, she's still huge!



I love to read and watch stories about her past:

(One day before erruption)



(May 18, 1980)




(After)


I love to visit her,


and I love to see how she is rebuilding herself. 

(Inside the crater)


A few years ago, there were all those little erruptions and I remember my mom was a little worried, kept suggesting I should go visit her or something. lol  No way!  We aren't in danger where we are - we're 50 miles south of her and we have great views, if something were going to happen, I want to be here to see it!
So, when I saw that warning, I knew it was probably just another ash plume or maybe a couple of stronger earthquakes than normal (there are earthquakes up there everyday, that's nothing alarming at all).  I clicked on the link, read the report, and at the end it says,

"A PILOT REPORTED ASH DRIFTING NE
FROM MSH. WEB CAM SUGGESTS THIS IS RESUSPENDED
ASH DUE TO STRONG WINDS. NO ERUPTION IS
OCCURRING."

Well, that was very unexciting.  What a let down!  Even though I expected it to be nothing serious, I did expect that the mountain had done something, but nope, just the wind and a paranoid pilot. 

Bummer.

No comments: