Wednesday, October 22, 2008

It's genetics... Poor girl didn't have a chance.


Last month, the girls and I went to the dentist. During Acadia's visit, they referred us to the orthodontist because of "crowding". Too many teeth, not enough space. Yesterday was the big day. Cadi had her first ortho appointment.
There is a long list of things that we're going to have to do for her. We will be extracting two baby teeth right away. That will allow one of the permanent teeth that's been trying to find room to come on down. Once it does, after the first of the year, Cadi will need braces on her front four top teeth, plus on her back molars and she will be wearing a headset to bed each night for about a year because her top teeth are all off center! One of her molars on one side is pushing the whole row of teeth and her center teeth are dramatically off center, so that will be fixed up next year. Once all of that is done, she'll have a little break and then they'll likely need to pull 4 permanent teeth (we won't know for sure until the time comes) and finally, she'll have full braces to straighten it all out. Yeah, poor girl. Poor bank account. lol

When I was about her age, I had two baby teeth pulled for similar reasons. And Ryan had two permanent teeth pulled also. Her crooked teeth are very similar to Ryan's teeth, and I had to have braces when I was about 12 or 13, too. Poor Cadi has inherited her teeth from both Ryan and myself - double whammy! I just hope that as far as healthiness goes, she gets all of my genes. She has had one cavity but other than that, her teeth have been very healthy so far. :)

She is actually excited to have braces. She thinks it's cool when you can change the color of the bands on your teeth. lol I'm sure that excitement will last a whole 10 minutes and then she'll be regretting it. lol No gum, no chewy candy, no soda... not to mention, braces hurt! Not all the time, of course - thank goodness! But at first and then everytime they get tightened or adjusted.

It's a good thing she likes smoothies. ;)

1 comment:

Sariah said...

Barbara' posted this on Wed 22 Oct 2008, 2:16 pm
Poor Cadi-bug! I feel guilty even though it's nothing I have conrol over. I also feel guilty that I feel glad that the problem is not just all from this side of the family.
I used to pretend that my headset was a horse's bridle, but it didn't really help me to like it much. I also don't think we completely finished my treatment because my teeth are still somewhat a mess.

A smoothie sounds good......