I have some friends who occasionally go to the cemetery to clean and photograph grave markers and then one of them, Millie, posts the pics on-line for people who are searching for deceased relatives and/or doing genealogy work. Ever since I heard about this, I thought it would be fun to join them because 1) I like these girls and it would be a fun way to get some visiting in, and 2) I'm HORRIBLE at doing genealogy and at least this way I'd be doing something to help someone else do theirs! :)
Today the girls and I went for the first time and we had a really good time! Except for Rori wanting to be her independant self, but what can ya do? ;) Here are some pics I took of the girls. I do have a pic here of my friends and I did fail to ask their permission to post their pics, but I don't really have any clear pics of their faces so I think I'm gonna be safe posting them... and if not, they can yell at me and I'll take the pic down right away. ;)
I intended to have Cadi and Julie watch Rori while I helped my friends but Cadi and Julie really wanted to help clean instead. When we got home, Julie said to me, "It was really fun cleaning the gravestones!" I think they were suprised at how much fun they had, more they were expecting! :)
Rori even got in on the act for a short time and it was very cute to see her spraying and scrubbing away. That was the best behaved she was all morning! lol
Yes, Rori is wearing a leash. I'm sure some of you are totally laughing or thinking I'm a horrible mom but trust me, with this kid, in an open place like this and in a situation where I'm not going to have my eyes on her every second - it's totally necessary! I half joked that next time I'm bringing a stake to put in the ground so I can just tie her to it. lol I really am only half joking... really. lol
***Update*** I just heard from Millie. We took almost 50 pictures today and some were shared headstones, she estimates she may have 75 new people to add to her website. Here's just one that she was able to add from today's work already. *warm, fuzzy feeling* :)
2 comments:
'Barbara' posted this on Tue 24 Jun 2008, 8:18 am
What a great service project! Fresh air, good friends, all ages. Pretty cool. How often do they go? How big is this cemetery or do they go to different ones?
I think it is great that the girls are learning that serving can be fun.
Leash 'em or lose 'em. (Don't completely trust a stake though.) Rori might respond better to being tethered to you than tethered to a thing.
'Sariah' posted this on Tue 24 Jun 2008, 8:24 am
They go once a week and I'm going to try to go with them now. It's a pretty big cemetery and so far I think they've only gone to this one.
I did try tethering Rori to me and that did not go over well. lol We'll see. We're going to see about inviting an older girl to come help us with Rori, I think.
Post a Comment