Today we made the difficult decision to let Angel go. After talking to our vet, we realized that not only was Angel not going to get better but everyday was just one more day of suffering for her. So when Acadia got home from school, we took Angel to the animal hospital and she quietly went to sleep.
Acadia has been strong and brave but she is very, very sad. She didn't want to watch Angel die, so we waited in the waiting area. She did want to bury Angel though, so we have brought her body home. We will probably bury her tonight when Ryan gets home. Until then, she is in Acadia's room. When we got home, Cadi shut herself in there for a few minutes to have a good cry.
It's a hard part of life to experience. I am very sad too, but I am mostly sad for Acadia. You want to protect your child from feeling hurt and sadness. But there are parts of life that you just can't protect them from. And really, this is one of those things that even though it's hard to experience, it's a good lesson to learn. She has learned to love and to let go. And she understands that Angel is free of pain now, living in heaven where she can run and play and scurry around as much as she wants. I am grateful that as hard as this weekend has been, she has faith in God and His plan for all of us. I know that this experience will help her when she has to say even more difficult "good-byes".
Tomorrow I will thoroughly clean Angel's cage and all of the little toys and things we had in it for her. Then I will bag it all up to use another time... someday. But not yet.
1 comment:
Barbara commented 5/24/07:
I grieve with you and Cadi. I also am glad that you have had an Angel in your life to help teach Cadi such important life lessons.
Post a Comment