So, last night we got a call...
caller: "Sister Roser? This is Elder _____."
me: "Oh no! Dinner tomorrow!"
We have been trying for MONTHS to get the missionaries over for dinner. I never see the sign-ups since I am in Young Womens and even if I did, they fill up SO FAST! So several weeks ago, I finally got my name down for today. Well, then a couple of weeks ago, Ryan agreed to cover someone's shift - it included today. UGH!
me: "I am so sorry! Yes, I will still feed you - but it turns out my husband can't be here, can I bring you your dinner instead?"
Of course they said yes and when I asked, they said that they had no requests - or allergies - so I could make whatever I wanted.
I made my favorite... Spaghetti Diablo. Haven't you heard about it? I'm nearly famous for it. Seriously! People in other countries (okay, just one person in one other country) RAVE about it and when they find out I've made it, they are insanely jealous. (To Landon: *Sticks tongue out* I made the missionaries Spaghetti Diablo today, neener, neener! lol)
As I was serving a *healthy* portion into some containers to take to them, a piece of chicken fell on the floor. Now, my dog does not eat people food. However, if it falls on the floor I usually let him (more like WANT him to) "clean" it up. He quickly obliged. After about a minute he made a bee-line for his water dish and drank that puppy dry! LOL What's wrong Simon? Can't take the heat? (Did I mention that I kind of accidentally put in TWICE the cayenne pepper? lol But that's okay - I actually like it that way! And it wasn't exactly "twice" - it was only 50 - 75% more, lol.)
Because this is my VERY FAVORITE food to make, I will now share my recipe with you. (This is my version. Well, one of them. I tend to be "flexible" with some of the details from time to time, lol. It is altered from it's original version to suit my personal preferences. The original comes from a cookbook that Ryan's parents own.)
Spaghetti Diablo
3 cups cooked, cubed chicken breasts
1 lb. vermicilli (or spaghetti - I often use whole wheat spaghetti)
1 onion, chopped
2 mushrooms, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
Olive Oil
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
8 oz can tomato sauce
2 t. Italian seasonings
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
Sprinkle of black pepper
1 t. cayenne pepper (I almost always add more, cause I like it hot, hot, HOT!)
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta, drain, set aside. Saute onions, mushrooms, and garlic in olive oil. Add crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Add all spices and seasonings. When heated through and well blended, combine with cooked chicken and pasta. Transfer to casserole or baking dish, sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
You can easily alter the cayenne pepper to suit you and your families taste. But you should at least try it this way once - it's so good! And besides, the above amount isn't really THAT spicy at all.
Oh, and it's a great recipe to freeze. I like to make a BIG batch and then freeze some for another night when I don't have time or am not in the mood to cook. Just defrost completely and bake for maybe an extra 5 minutes or so.
No comments:
Post a Comment