Friday, September 10, 2010

Mi Madre

Today is my mom's birthday! Happy Birthday Mom! :)

Obviously, my mom has had a great influence in my life. I often reflect on the counsel/advice she gave me and the example she set while I was growing up. She probably doesn't even realize that I was listening or paying attention at all. lol

Things I learned from my mom:

•How to be a good friend. That it's more important to just listen than to probe and ask questions. That it's important to be trustworthy and honest with them.

•Not to be so dramatic. It may have taken me awhile to apply it, but I remember my mom counseling me a few times that things don't have to be so "black and white", that I didn't need to get so worked up about things, that I could look at other points of view and find compromises and silver linings.

•To love the scriptures. I remember my mom waking us up early in the morning to read scriptures together as a family. I also remember watching my mom have personal scripture study. She may not think she was consistent enough, but I saw her consistently strive to be committed to studying regularly, and that's what I remember.

•To create opportunities for my kids to learn and grow. My mom is hard on herself about this but doesn't realize just how much she really did for us. My parents made sure we got in to the best elementary school around and volunteered there often to be involved in our education. My mom took us to swimming lessons everyday of summer and to the library almost as often. She wasn't able to provide music/dance lessons for all of us, but she did act on every opportunity she could find for us. I was fortunate and did get piano lessons and that was a huge blessing for me.

•To appreciate nature. My mom LOVES all things nature. Animals, trees, mountains, rivers, oceans, flowers... you name it, she loves it. We went on nature hikes, to wildlife preserves, to animal parks, etc. Some of it was boring at the time, but I knew my mom loved it. Now I love those things, too.

•To budget, save, and spend carefully. My family never had much money so my mom had to be very careful on how she spent her money. I hated that we had to shop at thrift stores and I remember being embarrassed of how my mom would pull out her envelopes to pay for things... and now I do the exact same things!

•To work hard for something that is important to you. For years, my mom took us kids around the neighborhood collecting newspapers and cans every week to turn in to the recycling center for cash. We would save the money and use it for the one splurge our family loved most - our annual passes to Marine World Africa USA. No one liked collecting papers, but we all loved going to Marine World. All the work to earn the money was worth it.

•To think of others' needs. Even though we didn't have much, my mom always wanted us to try to give to others. I remember we would read through the newspaper during the holiday season where they would publish a list of people's wishes. Most of the cases were people who had gone through very trying experiences. We would each select which wish we wanted to help come true and we would work to collect/earn money to donate for that wish.

•To serve the Lord. My mom had a testimony and I knew it. She always wanted to do her best to serve the Lord, wherever He needed her. She served in auxillary presidencies, in scouting, as a teacher, etc. Even when the calling was something she didn't feel comfortable with at all, she still accepted it and did her best to fulfill it.

The list could go on and on... I'm grateful to have my mom as my mother. I am grateful for all of the life lessons she has taught (and continues to teach) me. We love you, Mom! Have a Happy Birthday!!!

No comments: