President Spencer W. Kimball said that perhaps the most important word is "remember".
I don't think any of us can forget. And I hope we never do. I hope we always remember how united we became, how we stood together and were strong. We have forgotten some of that, to some degree, so I'm glad we take time to remember on this day.
(Turn up your volume, the sound quality isn't that great.)
I remember how it felt to see the plane hit the second tower and to realize that this was no accident. I remember how I sank to my knees in shock. I remember praying with my family for all of the people on the planes and in the towers.
Then the Pentagon was attacked. And I remember wondering where else they might hit? Planes were grounded. One was missing. And then we learned about United Airlines Flight 93's heroic acts which prevented even more devastation. Those brave men and women fought to save others' lives, knowing that they would not survive themselves.
I remember all of the flags - everywhere! So many people wanting to give blood. I remember our landlord (a firefighter) going down to NYC (we lived in Massachusetts at the time) to help. I remember the brotherhood he felt for his fellow firefighters in NYC.
I remember understanding that things would change in our world because of this attack. Realizing that travel would change, security would change, and realizing that someday that would feel normal.
I remember the support we received from around the world. The tributes, the signs, the candles. I remember one sign that said, "Today we are all Americans."
I remember loving my country and being proud of what she stands for. Even knowing that this made us a target, I felt grateful that we stood for something so good and right and true that no attack, no terrorist, could change that. I remember the intense determination that we all felt to prove that we would overcome and emerge an even stronger nation.
I don't like looking at the images, reliving those moments, thinking about the suffering of those who were there and experiencing it all. I don't like hearing the stories of people who have lost their loved ones and are left behind, their lives changed forever. I don't like thinking about how a group of people could commit such horrible acts in the name of religion.
But I pray I never forget.
No comments:
Post a Comment