I was out of the country when Katrina hit - I didn't even hear about it until days later. (We were camping and didn't have any communication with the "outside world".) At first when I heard about Katrina, I thought "Oh, another hurricane hit." But when I saw how bad it was I quickly realized what everyone else already knew - this was not just another hurricane. It has been terribly sad to see so many people's lives lost, so many people displaced, so many families seperated. And everyone has been affected. Even those of us who are not there and have no direct ties have been changed in a way.
Now with Rita coming and actually being here to watch it I have mixed feelings. Part of me is glad that I was gone when Katrina hit, I missed this horrible part before the storm hits - wondering where it will go, how strong will it be, who will get hit the hardest, will everyone be okay? But as Rita gets closer and closer to land, I find myself following her more and more closely as well. I can't help but watch. I am truly concerned for all the people who lie in her path.
My good friend has a daughter and grandchildren who are there and will try to evacuate tomorrow. The problem is that so many others are trying to evacuate too, they may end up turning around and facing the storm at home instead of risking the chance of being stuck on a highway with only their car for protection. My friend is worried sick over them.
Some of the bloggers whose blogs I read regularly are there too. I have never met them, but I feel like I know them and I am afraid for them.
It is a horrible feeling when there is nothing to do but wait and watch as peoples lives are threatened. The only thing I can think of to do right now is pray. There will be a time to send blankets, to donate to the relief efforts, to give blood even. For now the best thing I can do is pray. I'm guessing that it's the best that most of you can do too. So please do.
Say a prayer for those you know, say a prayer for those you don't. Pray for the emergency personnel, the relief workers, the government officials. Pray that the storm will weaken, pray it will turn away from those who are most vulnerable.
It may seem like such a small thing, how can it possibly make a difference? But I know that it can. So, let's pray!
No comments:
Post a Comment