Early this morning, my grandpa died. This time, it was my Dad's Dad. He seemed to go quickly too, like Grandma Johnston. He went to the hospital on Sunday and on Friday they said that he wouldn't be around for much longer. Not even 24 hours later, he was gone.
My Mom was staying with him in the hospital last night. Sometime in the night his breathing changed and she woke up. She began singing some hymns to him and then went back to sleep. Five minutes later the nurse woke her to say he had passed on.
Tomorrow everyone will decide when the services should be. I don't know if we can make it down. We will have to see.
Grandpa was often quiet, but there was always a twinkle in his eye. I remember being very young and going to his house. He always had lots of TV's - mostly ones needing repair - around his house. I think that's what he did. I also remember loving to go into his backyard. I remember picking strawberries. :lick: When he and Grandma (Louise) married, they lived in her house. Now there was an even bigger yard and bigger garden. Not to mention the chicken pen. I liked looking for eggs and helping to collect them.
Grandpa was 93(!), he lived a long and full life. I am grateful he is not suffering anymore. This is the first person close to me that has died who wasn't a member of the church. It is very different from the times when people have died who were. It makes me so grateful for the gospel, the Atonement, and for temple work. Grandpa was loyal to his beliefs and his faith. I believe that counts for alot. And I believe he will accept the ordinance work that will be done for him when that time comes.
This has been quite a year. Uncle Gordon, Grandma Johnston and now Grandpa Robarts. I certainly hope we don't add to the list anytime soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment