Friday, April 9, 2010

Just do it.

Yesterday, our Bishop's son returned home from his two year, full-time mission in Brazil. The Bishop invited people to join in welcoming him at the airport and I debated on whether or not to go. I'm not family, I'm not even a close friend of the family, I'm just a member of the ward. But then I realized that 1) we are a ward family, 2) I wrote to this Elder every month of his mission, and 3) I wanted to show my support for him now as he returns home. At the very last minute, Rori and I jumped in the car and headed to the airport.

I'm so glad I went. And not just because it was great to see him see his family for the first time in two years. Not just because I got to see the joy on the faces of his parents as they embraced their son, bringing to mind these words: Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven. Not just because I took pictures (which I do not have permission to share here) which I have already e-mailed to the family. But because it just feels good to do things that show love and support. Would anyone have missed me if I hadn't gone? No. But because I was there, they know I care.

Moral of the story: Whenever you feel the desire, or better yet, if you ever feel prompted to do something kind for someone else, no matter how big or small it seems, just do it! How many times have I thought to do a kind deed but then didn't because I thought they would think it was silly of me? Yet, how many times has someone else's thoughtful actions towards me totally brightened my day?

Silly or not, a kind thought is worth acting on.

No comments: