Yesterday, Ryan's step-father's mother passed away. I've been thinking about her a lot since we got the call yesterday afternoon.
From the very first time I met her, she treated me like I was one of her grandchildren. I remember how shocked and touched I was when she made me a Christmas present, a crocheted blanket, the first Christmas I knew Ryan. A few years later, that blanket was used in Acadia's nursery, it matched perfectly. :) But at the time, Ryan and I were just dating! Not to mention, Ryan isn't really her grandchild either. But that was the kind of woman she was. She thought of everyone and no one got left out.
We didn't see them very often, usually only at Christmas time, occasionally at other family events during the year, but always, when we did see her, she smiled, hugged us, and included us in whatever was going on. She was so sincere! Several years ago, she sent us a gift with a note, expressing her appreciation for the home videos we share with her each year. She was in the process of going through the family and giving everyone their inheritance early. She sent a little money, which we felt appropriate to use to buy a new digital camcorder since that was something we knew she enjoyed. I often think of her generosity when I use our camcorder and when we make our annual dvd to share with parents/grandparents.
When we were given her e-mail address, it was "grandma cuckoo", I loved it! It sounded like her, silly, fun, joyful. :)
A few years ago, her husband passed away. Though I know she loved being with her family here, I'm sure that she is thrilled to be with him again. I'm grateful for the lessons of kindness that I learned from her and I know that if I, who saw her so infrequently, learned so much from her, her family must have a lifetime of wonderful memories of her. What a great woman. We are sad to learn of her passing, it was a little unexpected, but we are so grateful for the spirit she has and that she can now be reunited with her eternal companion.
Goodbye Grandma Cuckoo, until we meet again.
No comments:
Post a Comment