Thursday, July 29, 2004

Responsibility

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so responsible. I see other people not being responsible all the time. They have more fun. They don't care, why should I? But everyone expects me to be responsible and it is such a big deal if I'm not.


My advice is never be responsible, then no one will expect you to do anything. That way you can just do what you want and make all the other "responsible" people do all the things that need to be done.

5 comments:

Sariah said...

Mom commented 7/29/04:

Sounds like you are having a hard time right now.

There are times when I feel that way, too. Although, I think often the feeling "everyone expects me to be responsible and it is such a big deal if I'm not." comes more from the inside than the outside. On the other hand, I am hesitant to find out by completely dropping the ball and waiting to see who yells.

(Actually, at the moment I am doing a good job of procrastinating. Tomorrow, I absolutely have to get stuff together for our trip! )

The irresponsible ones may or may not have more fun, It does look like it though. But really responsible people cannot enjoy deciding not to be responsible. We worry and feel guilty, etc.

It is ok and responsible to take a break once in a while. Blogging has become part of that for me.

And not everything we think has to be done is really all that important. If there is no one able or willing to do something, MAYBE we can do without it. Not always, but often. How important is it in the eternal scheme? In 10 years will it really matter? Stuff like that.

I hope things get better soon! Both that people who should will step up to the plate, and that you will not feel responsible for everyone and everything else.

Sariah said...

Mom commented 7/29/04:

Is our coming up causing you extra stress? What can we do to alleviate that? (Assuming you are not yelling, Don't Come! If you are, you had better yell louder, or email or phone, cause I am not quite getting it.)

Sariah said...

I commented 7/29/04:

No, I'm glad you are coming. I've got meals ready and as long as you don't look too closely at the mess, I'm ready for you to come now. Of course, I'm not ready to leave on Monday...hehehe.

Sariah said...

Tom commented 7/29/04:

Not sure in what way you mean but being responsible is a good thing. I say be responsible to your self and family and who care what others think or expect, unless it your boss and if your not responsible and lose your job and can't support you family, and now your job less and no one will hire you because your irresponsible and got fired because you weren't responsible to your family. So what I'm saying is that if it isn't that important to the needs of your family or your eternal salvation then it doesn’t matter. And if it matters to you (or me if its about me) then who cares what others have to say or think. I say do what you need to do and let the other irresponsible people wonder why their life is harder than ours and they never get any thing important done. For tomorrow we die and have to give an accounting of our life. Personally I think I'm fairly responsible, or at least do a good job of faking it, and I have as much, if not more, fun as everyone else. And yes I do like run-on sentences.

Sariah said...

Mom commented 7/30/04:

Wow, Tom, you are smart. And responsible. And fun.