Wednesday, August 25, 2010

More Giant Zucchini

When we got back from our beach trip, I found more giant zucchini from my garden!  My friend, Susan, had watched over my garden and picked these huge zucchini so they wouldn't get even bigger.  (Two are bigger than the two I picked before I left!)  She also picked green beans and peas that needed to be eaten.  We also found 3 cucumbers ready to pick.  So, we had a lot of fresh veggies from our garden last week!  I grated up the zucchini again and put another 33 cups in the freezer for a later date.  For the record, I'm not trying to let them get that big!  In fact, I've got several smaller ones that I'm keeping my eye on right now.  One or two will be picked today or tomorrow to keep them normal sized. lol





Right before we came home, there were high, hot winds in our area and my corn and peas really suffered.  Most of my pea plants totally dried out, I have just one more plant hanging on.  And four of my corn stalks were blown over.  I've tied them back up, so I'm hoping they make it, but I'm not sure... In the meantime, a mole has decided to make my corn part of it's playground and yesterday and today I found 6 ears of corn eaten/picked by raccoons!!!  My corn just cannot catch a break!  And so, it is time.  There are at least 3 or 4 ears of corn that I think are ready to get harvested, so tonight we will have fresh corn on the cob from our garden!  You shouldn't pick it until you're ready to cook it (so all the websites about harvesting corn tell me), so I hope they hang on for just a few more hours. 

Update:  Okay, I keep going back and forth between suspecting squirrels and raccoons for my corn getting eaten/picked.  I'm back to suspecting squirrels just because it's happening mostly during they day.  (I lost several more ears while I was gone during the day today!)  Heck, it could be both!  I called the nursery for advise and they said to try cayenne pepper.  I've sprinkled it on and around the corn... here's to hoping!  In the meantime, I picked 5 ears of corn for dinner... not sure if they were all ready, but I didn't want to leave them on and risk have them eaten by my mystery corn-eater instead. :S

No comments: