Wednesday, April 11, 2007

New Floor

HOORAY!!! 

We moved into this house four years ago and right away had a list of things we'd like to have done.  We have been working on those things for the past few years.  We have painted almost every room in the house, completely remodeled one bathroom and did a partial remodel of the other, recarpeted 3 of the bedrooms, built a pantry, converted the house to gas and had central heat and air put in, and updated much of the lighting.  This week we can add something new to the "done" list!  MY LIVING ROOM!!!

I've hated having that room "unfinished" because it just became  'catch all" room.  It's the first room anyone sees and I hated that it was the first impression people were getting of our home.  But now I'm so proud of it!  I want to invite everyone over to show it off!!!  Here are some before, during, and after pics... (We actually aren't 100% done yet.  They are still putting the crown molding up and caulking the cracks.  Plus there are some places that need to be retextured and painted on the walls and Ryan wants to remove the old wall heaters now that we have the central heat and air.  But the molding will be done tomorrow (as well as the molding in the hall and bathroom, I believe), I just won't be here to get real "done" pictures, so you get them now.)

Before:
Can you believe this is AFTER it had been picked up a little?  I told you it was a "catch all" room! lol

From the bookcases looking toward the entry.

During:
Starting to pull up the utitlity carpet.  (Why did they have such an ugly carpet in the front room, I'll never know!

Pulling up the rest of the carpet.

The naked floor.

The utility carpet was installed using glue.  So now we had a naked floor, covered in glue.  We had purchased laminate flooring that came with a pad built in but because the glue would keep the flooring from sliding well, we still laid down a plastic cover.

Blue, blue, blue

Installing the first boards

But soon, we realized a problem... the plastic was sticking to the glue but not completely.  Whenever we took a step on the floor, there was a crinkling sound of plastic sticking and unsticking to the glue.  So, we pulled out the plastic and decided to solve the glue problem by sprinkling baby powder over the entire floor.  This solved the problem, but left the house with a thin layer of baby powder EVERYWHERE! lol

Half way across the room

Aren't corners the best part? ;)

Once we had the floor in, they put our new molding up.  Cadi even got to help with the nail gun!
Handy Girl, Cadi

Putting up the molding

Next came the crown molding:
We're almost done!!!

And from the other end of the room...

Now all that's left is one more wall for molding, some touching up, and it will be done! :)  Here's a close up of the floor pattern, I LOVE IT!!!

My new floor!

That is what's been going on around here the last couple of days!  Now I am packed and ready to fly off to SLC tomorrow to have a nice little Girls Weekend Out with my vfriends! :)  TTFN!

No comments: