Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Christmas Gifts

What a Christmas! The most exciting parts were Acadia's gifts.

The first thing she got wasn't wrapped. It was a large cage with a super cute hamster inside. It is a Honey Bear Hamster and Cadi has named her Angel. She is a sweet little girl who has been very nice with Cadi and not frightened by the curious dog.

Her second gift was a t-shirt. Not too exciting? Well, this particular shirt had a message. It says, "I'm Gonna Be the Big Sister"! Once she put two and two together, Acadia went crazy! She started dancing and singing, "I'm not going to be the only child anymore! All my dreams are coming true!" lol It was fun to watch and yes, we did get it on video.

Later during the day we let Cadi tell her grandparents what she got for Christmas, including the shirt and what it meant. Of course, everyone is excited. We are all happy. Catch Cadi's brief thoughts on her blog.

I have been VERY sick. And I've been having some concerns as well. I have had some cramping from the very beginning which does cause us to worry. Given our history we have been very cautious again. We have the general rule of not making announcements until after we've heard a heartbeat. This time we were very concerned with all the cramping so my doctor had me go in early for an ultrasound at 7 weeks. We had a nice strong heartbeat and the baby looked real good. They also found a large cyst, the size of a baseball, on one of my ovaries. While cysts can be normal, this one is quite large and is probably contributing to the cramping as well as the strong sickness I feel round the clock. But it is also helping to hold onto this pregnancy so we can't really complain.

Today I went in to see the nurse. It is too early for their monitor to detect a heartbeat so I didn't get to hear it again. I had been hoping to, mostly because I am still cramping and once you've heard it, you just want to keep hearing it! But I have an appointment in two weeks with my doctor and they will be able to hear it then. The doctor also ordered another ultrasound for next month. They want to watch me closely to make sure everything is okay. I've been lucky to have a really good doctor who listens to me and makes me feel like I'm a priority. Whenever I've called with a concern, she responds immediately.

We debated on telling Acadia this soon. We aren't out of the first trimester yet and there is still significant risk. But I have been so sick that I could not hide it and it has been causing Cadi to worry. In fact, a few weeks ago she asked me if I was dying because I had been so sick for so long. I think I was able to convince her that I would be okay, but we really don't want her to worry more than she already has been. She is old enough to understand more than she could have before. So we have explained that sometimes a baby starts to grow and then sometimes it just stops and then the mom doesn't have a baby afterall. She understand that this is a possibilty. But she also knows why I've been so sick and she doesn't have to worry about me anymore. We felt like it would be more important to just tell her and I know we made the right decision.

Today the doctor's office gave me one of those little booklets that shows pictures of how a baby develops. We've already shown Cadi what the baby looks like right now and just how little it is, the size of a peanut. She is amazed at that. lol She admits that she really wants a little sister, but she will be happy with a brother too. Ryan is about 50/50 on it, he absolutely LOVES having a daughter and would love another one too. But then, he knows he will easily love a son just as much. I lean towards another girl. It would be slightly easier, though really no matter what we will be starting over completely! We have NOTHING left from when Cadi was born. About 2 years ago we finally realized that there was a good chance we may never have another child so we donated all our things to help families in need. We are praying that since we tried to be generous then that we will be blessed with all we will need now, lol. Besides, the styles have changed alot in the last 7 years - it will be fun to go shopping for the new toys and gadgets! lol

So, I'm due at the very end of July. I'm really hoping to have it in July and not in August. Partly because I don't want to be pregnant in the middle of Summer longer than I have to. And partly because I love July's birthstone! lol
Sometimes it still seems unreal. We are very happy and are praying for everything to work out this time. But it is going to be a big adjustment! It has been a long time since we've had a baby, lol. And after so many years of not getting our hopes up, it is weird to actually have something work out. But in a very good way. Like Ryan said two weeks ago when we heard the heartbeat, "That's all the Christmas present I need!"

No comments: