There are only so many moments in my life that I remember EXACTLY where I was at a precise moment. I remember exactly where I was on January 1st, 1994 at 12:01 am when I met my husband, where I was on December 24, 1995 at roughly 11pm when he proposed to me, of course the moment that I married and the moments my daughters were born... And then, September 11, 2001 at about 8:45 am as I sat playing the piano when Ryan burst through the front door and told me to turn on the news.
We were living in Massachusetts at the time and everything seemed to hit closer to home. I remember feeling humbled and horrified. I remember dropping to our knees as a family to pray once we saw the second tower hit and we realized it was not an accident but an attack.
I remember the odd feeling of seeing an airplane fly overhead for the first time in days later that week. I remember realizing that while life would go on, it would never be "normal" again - we would have to create a new "normal".
I remember how strong we all became, how united we were! I remember there were flags EVERYWHERE! I remember how people were reaching out to strangers, being kind to others.
It has been six years now. What have we learned? Well, there are lots of things that we've learned about our attackers and there are lots of things we've learned about safety. We've even learned a lot about how buildings are made and what will make them stronger and safer.
But what have I learned? I think I've learned that no one is immune and we shouldn't take a single day for granted. I have learned that we shouldn't have to wait for a disaster to become united or to reach out to others. I have learned that we are stronger when we stand together and we can overcome anything if we stick together. I have learned to be grateful for those serving our country and risking their lives to keep me safe. I have learned to trust God a little more, to realize that sometimes horrible things are going to happen but that He is still here wth us if we will allow it - and that we NEED to allow it! I have learned that anyone can be a hero and that being a hero doesn't necessarily mean you go looking to save the world, but more that when a crisis happens, you fight as best as you can to do what is right and to help as much as you can. I have learned to not take for granted the many, MANY blessing I have been given in life - perhaps most importantly my family and friends, my faith, and living in a free country where I can live how I want without fear.
No comments:
Post a Comment