When we were younger, we had "Reading Club". I don't remember actually calling it that, but I know later, my mom and brothers actually did name it. Or was it "Book Club"? Drats, now I can't remember which they called it. :S Well, that doesn't matter.
Mom would read to us every night. Or at least, it seemed like it was everynight. I remember her reading just about everything from Black Beauty to Encyclopedia Brown to Choose Your Own Adventure books. I even remember her telling me that my youngest brother really liked her to read "Jesus the Christ"... he was about 4 years old at the time!
Well, we've started our own little Reading Club here! Acadia and I are reading every night. We started the first Harry Potter book and are almost done, I think we'll finish it tonight! She wants to read them all. Then she's thinking about going on to The Hobbit.
I'm so glad she is getting into the HP books! She's always liked the movies, though we would only let her watch the first couple since the other ones start to get a little too intense for her. I have always told her that if she would read the books, we would talk about her seeing the other movies. And now that I've finished the series, I've felt a little sad. I am kind of mourning the feeling I would get when I would read a new HP book for the first time. I knew that I could just go back and reread them, but it wouldn't be the same. However, reading them to someone else who is hearing them for the first time is almost just as fun!
I know once summer is over, we won't be able to read quite as much. Right now, we often stay up til 10pm reading! (That's a treat for her, she usually goes to bed between 9 - 9:30 during the summer.) But we'll still read a little, maybe we'll have to limit it to one chapter a day. So, the reading will slow down quite a lot once school starts. That's okay. We still have time to finish a couple more books before then and besides, I'm not sure I'm ready for her to finish all seven of them so fast!
1 comment:
Barbara commented 8/2/07:
Hooray for Reading Club!
You may have tangible wealth untold: Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold. Richer than I you will never be-- I had a Mother who read to me. --Stricklin Gillilan
Post a Comment