Literally.
(Sorry Mom.)
Apparently, one of the possible side effects from teething is diarrhea. And we've got it! Rori's been dealing with this since Monday and yesterday was the absolute worse! I changed somewhere between 15-20 diapers yesterday - and every single one of them was messy. We had leakage (including while at Cadi's swimming lessons), blowouts, an episode where she sprayed her nursery (and me) while I changed her and an accident in the tub. I gave up on the idea of "outfits" for her a couple of days ago but yesterday I went through three outfits myself! She needed 3 baths and we had to change her bedding - including the bumper! I need to disinfect my entire house! But I haven't been able to put her down. Last night she went to bed at 11pm!
All I've managed is to clean each mess that has been made.
The good news is that she woke up a little better this morning. I had to wash the bedding again, but it wasn't as bad as it was yesterday. I have been feeding her only bread/toast, bananas, formula, and water. I'm trying to firm up her stool without letting her get too dehydrated. Her diapers this morning were much better. She had a fever off and on too, but today it's gone. I'll keep an eye on it though.
The only thing that really bothers me right now is that though I tried, I wasn't able to keep her from getting a really bad rash from all the messy diapers. Poor baby, I hope that as the diapers ease up, her poor skin can start to heal.
I have heard conflicting reports as to whether teething can cause diarrhea. A lot of doctors think it's a coincidence or "loose stool from excessive drool", but she hasn't been drooling at all recently.
Well, whatever the cause, she is improving and that is really, REALLY good! Her personality is starting to come back too, which means instead of needing to be held constantly, I just have to stay in the same room with her as she destroys the house. It's a step up, I guess. lol
6 comments:
Susan Grundy commented 6/1/07:
Hi Sariah: Ouch. Poor Rori and poor you. It sounds like you have the hydration need under control. Sometimes baby food rice cereal helps to firm up stools. Hope you both have a better day.
6/1/07:
Ooh, thanks! I wasn't sure what else would be especially good to help with that.
Yeah, someone told me to watch if she has "tears" when she cries... she does. And she's only had two messy diapers today (as opposed to 2 an hour yesterday) with a wet diaper by itself, so that's good! :) I think she's past the worst of it (I hope!) and that is a relief. :)
Barbara commented 6/1/07:
Poor baby! Both of you! Nice to get a good vote of confidence from your nurse mother-in-law, isn't it! I am glad the worst is over. When she is less of a threat to the environmen, you might let her bare bottom it for a bit to help with the rash. Maybe have some playtime in the back yard! Blessings on the both of you.
Jessica Roser commented 6/1/07:
Will had horrible toxic poop when he was teething. Even if I changed him immediately his poor little bootie would be burned. I've been racking my brain trying to think what helped but I don't think anything did. Applesauce is in the BRAT diet- bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. Our recent bout with the stomach bug was only conquered by sticking to the Brat Diet. Good luck
6/1/07:
Hey Jessica, do you by chance remember how long it lasted? She's gotten a lot better today, but the diarrhea's not completely gone.
I've been putting Balmex on every changing and I've also given her some cool baths. Plus, I'm giving her Children's Motrin about 3 times a day right now, until it doesn't bother her as much. That's all I can think of to help with the rash. :S
Any other ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)
Miriam commented 6/1/07:
Hope you guys feel better.
Post a Comment