I wanted to write something profound. Maybe have some really cool story or a quote or something. But I'm just not feeling in the mood to think one up or even dig one up.
But do not mistake that for a lack of patriotism.
I love my country! I feel incredibly blessed to live here. I don't think I am better than anyone else in the world, but I do believe I am fortunate enough to live in the best nation in the world. Sure, we have problems - and plenty of them! But even with the flaws we have here, this is still a free country, a beautiful country, a blessed country. I firmly believe that God preserved this land. I also firmly believe that God directed our founding fathers as they made choices that brought this nation about.
I feel humbled and grateful to all of the men and women who have made any sort of sacrifice in order to create and maintain this free nation. I honor them for the sacrifices they have made to allow me a place to live where I can be who I want to be, live where I want to live, do what I want to do, be with the people I want to be with, etc.
Today we will be heading over to my Aunt's house. It will be great fun, for sure! Not only will we have a great BBQ (even though I think my cousin Taylor is still working in Hawaii and won't be here to man the grill) and we'll have lots of fun fireworks (not to mention a great view of the city so we can watch all the fireworks going off all over town), but we will be spending the day with some fun, cool people that I love.
I hope that however you spend your holiday today, that you do it safely. And I hope you will take just a moment to remember why we celebrate this day. What a blessing to have a free country to live in!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment