Sunday, October 4, 2009

Putting into practice the things we are taught.

Immediately following the morning session of conference today, Acadia and I met up with the sister missionaries at one of Cadi's schoolmates' homes. The adults in the home are less-active members of the church, and the boy Acadia's age is not a member, but recently the family has been interested in learning more about the gospel and hopefully coming back to activity. The missionaries had watched the morning session with them and then when we arrived, we talked about the restoration of the Gospel.

Today, in conference, Elder L. Tom Perry talked about how we should be prepared to share our testimonies and be witnesses of the things that the missionaries teach. He asked us, "How prepared are you to bear witness of the restoration of the gospel and plan of salvation?" During the discussion we were having today with the sisters and Cadi's schoolmate, the missionaries turned to Cadi and asked her to tell us about the story of the restoration, which she did. I was proud of her for being prepared and willing to bear her witness.

Near the end of our discussion, the sisters asked Acadia to bear her testimony, which she did. And it was beautiful. Then they asked me to bear mine. I could hardly speak! Yesterday, when Elder Bednar spoke, he said how we should share our testimonies with our family and loved ones and how that it would be rewarding for us to hear each other's testimonies. I was experiencing that joy. After pulling myself together I did share my testimony and after my testimony, one of the less-active members shared his. The spirit was really strong and it was wonderful to be apart of that experience.

It's wonderful to see the gospel in action. And I'm especially grateful and find it so rewarding that Acadia is not only a hearer of the word, but a doer also. :)

No comments: